elow are some basic things to consider when preparing to move. Additional moving resources are provided at the right.
One Month Before
- Interview and choose a moving company. Reserve the date.
- Gather and keep all-important papers in an accessible place (i.e. medical, bank, insurance and school records.)
- Gather and keep all important phone numbers in an accessible place.
- Send out change of address cards to important contacts (I.e. banks, credit cards, dentist, doctors, insurance.)
- Beg, borrow or buy sturdy boxes, lots of boxes ----you'll need, more than you think.
Two Weeks Before
- Fill out mail forwarding card at the Post Office or change your address online.
- Start packing; label your boxes with contents, room destination and "Open First" for essentials
- In the "Open First" box you will want to include toilet paper, medications, first aid kit and light bulbs.
- Get rid of STUFF-decide what to move, donate or sell, remember STUFF requires stuff management.
- Plan connect/disconnect dates with gas, electric, and cable TV companies.
- Set up phone and water service at your new residence.
- Evaluate your furniture for special needs. Pianos, large wall units and sofa beds, may need special equipment
- Notify moving company of any special needs.